10/15/24

Nightingale



“If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.”

The book that has been recommended by BookTok so frequently that it has always been in my radar. There is just something about books being on the bestseller list and being hyped over lots of people. While I dont often go for historical fiction, I like established credibility. For me, there are few things better than the feeling of purchasing a book knowing it is going to be a good read. 
Told in different perspectives between two sisters, (one is sensible, quiet and mature while the other young, stubborn, rebellious), this book takes you on a journey from the start of Nazi occupation in France until the liberation by the Allies. It talks about love and sacrifice, resilience and growth. How war brings out the worst in human nature, but also draws out the best. Most of all, it talks about Hope. 
This book kept me up all night, feeling nauseous and hollow, and still kept me thinking long after I finished reading it. The Nightingale is one of the most atmospherical book Ive read, with every chapter I could picture so clearly the surrounding and the emotions behind it. I cannot stress how many times I have to pause between chapters just to get a breather and collect my thoughts. 

It is refreshing to get strong female characters, it is even more refreshing to learn about the crucial role women played in the war. 
 
This quote stood out to me : 

”Men tell stories … Women get on with it. For us it was a shadow war. There were no parades for us when it was over, no medals or mentions in history books. We did what we had to during the war, and when it was over, we picked up the pieces and started our lives over”


It is always good to expand our historical knowledge, reading stories that teaches you the real meaning of life. What truly matters when everything is taken into consideration. Sometimes I get so caught up in small things, superficial things, but it is through stories like this that grounds me back. 

Nightingale

“If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.” Th...