9/6/24

Why joker is my favourite movie



Plot twist - its not. 

In my pursuit to get out of my writer's block I asked a friend to name a random and specific title (word to word) for me to write. What started out as a joking response made me realize I do have a lot to say about this. And since Im not one to shy away from challenges (no matter how stupid it is) , here goes nothing. 

 A disclaimer - I dont read the DC comics universe and it has been ages since I watched Nolan's Batman (as much as I love Heath Ledger). When I talk about the joker, I am specifically referring to Joaquin Phoenix's adaptation. 

I like complex characters. I like analyzing behavior and realizing how things are not always black and white.  I also like movies that makes you think. While the original Joker is portrayed as a psychopathic criminal mastermind, the latest movie turns the table around by adding in several factors into the mix. Crushing loneliness, depression, childhood trauma, mental disorder, outcasted from society. It humanizes Joker and allows us to empathize with him. The longing for connection, the need for validation. 

With the perspective of the movie, drawing you in through empathy for his tragic life, there is a new, proposed reality that somehow his actions .. we can understand where they stem from.

This makes you think :

 '' at the very core, we are social beings with basic instincts and needs. If pushed beyond the edge. every one of us may be capable of great evil". 

Or at the very least it makes me think : "are we all inherently evil? or are we simply the victim of circumstances?".

DISCLAIMER : I still think the Joker is a murderous psychopath. Its just interesting how a movie could somehow extract empathy from the audience by turning narrative of the greatest villain of all time into a misunderstood victim. 

also side note : never asking friends for random post challenges anymore.

Nightingale

“If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.” Th...